THEODORE, Ala. (WALA) - Managers said John Belk and Jessica Lane had been staying at a motel in Theodore for the past 10 days.
Sheriff's deputies said it turns out they were cooking meth.
The lab was confiscated Friday morning, and the pair is behind bars.
Thankfully, officials said it wasn't as dangerous as a meth lab in Bayou La Batre that exploded in 2009, but explosion or not, meth labs are extremely harmful.
Next week, the sheriff's office and the Mobile County Health Department will work on a system to stop this trend.
Deputies will work with hotel and motel managers to identify meth cookers.
Myles said "You're gonna have to be selective on who you're renting to. If you know you're renting to people that look like they're cooking meth or you smell it, you're gonna be liable if this hotel explodes."
And if a meth lab is found, the room will be closed until it is cleaned and safe for the public.
"Until we know that room is properly cleaned and all the chemicals are disposed of, we don't need to have anyone in it," Myles says.
Some local hotel managers praise the idea.
Quality Inn Manager Brandy Stokes said, "That'd be great. It'd be better business for all the hotels around here."
She said her hotel has not had any problems with meth labs but the meth labs at other hotels give a bad stigma.
"Other people think that we have the same problem, and they don't want to stay here," she says.
GulfCoastBio Clean is a local company that specializes in cleaning crime scenes and meth labs.
Owner Jessica Townsend said the effects of meth labs are long lasting.
Townsend said, "It could mean anything from burning eyes to a burning throat to a full blown asthma attack that is brought on by the chemicals aggravating the system."
Townsend said some of the ingredients involved are extremely dangerous to inhale, like the chemical properties in Drain cleaner, which is used in meth manufacturing.
"The acid properties in that, just by touching it can burn you," says Townsend.
A filter on your stove is a great comparison to what meth lab residue is like.
Long after your French fries are cooked, the aroma is gone, but the greasy fryer residue is absorbed into the filter. The same can be said for meth lab residue on hotel walls.
Townsend said Alabama has no laws mandating the cleanup of meth labs, and the problem is far more widespread than we realize.
She said other states have laws in place to ensure that meth labs are clean.
Townsend said it takes about two days to test whether a hotel room would be safe to rent out after meth was cooked in there
So with this new program, the sheriff's office wants to stop this and save others in the process.
Three people are dead after a shooting near the University of South Alabama Tuesday, December 10. Mobile Police tell FOX10 news it is investigating the case as a double homicide and a suicide, which they believe began after a domestic …
A Cold Morning Showing Up Around the Gulf Coast but Plenty of Sunshine Lies Ahead....
Chipotle Mexican Grill is hanging out the “now hiring” sign. The Denver-based restaurant chain is looking for managers and crew members for its new location in Mobile, Ala.
Voters in Creola have decided not to become part of Saraland. Residents voted against the proposed annexation 536 to 349 with 29 provisional ballots.
The homeowner said she left for several hours to run errands, when she returned there were tire marks in her front yard with part of her door kicked in.
Orange Beach Police say 20-year-old Carlos Garcia, 27-year-old Steven Erickson, and 20-year-old Cody Erickson, were all charged with seven counts of burglary third degree, two counts of theft of property second degree, and four counts of …