(AP) - Nike said Monday that it has no plans to use Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius in future ad campaigns after the South African sports star was charged with murder in the shooting death of his girlfriend.
Nike Inc. spokesman KeJuan Wilkins confirmed the shoe company's plans to The Associated Press. He declined to say whether Nike had previously had any plans for Pistorius, or whether it will pull current advertising that includes him.
Pistorius is a double-amputee who races on carbon-fiber blades and competed in the London Olympics last year. He has been charged with shooting and killing his girlfriend in his South Africa home.
A Nike Internet ad showing Pistorius starting to sprint in his blades with the caption: "I am the bullet in the chamber" has already been pulled.
Wilkins said the wording in the 2007 campaign "was in reference to Oscar's speed and performance on the track. Nike felt it was appropriate to take the ad down from Oscar's website recognizing the sensitivities of the situation."
Pistorius' website, which has been posting statements from his manager and his family, still shows other Nike ads and logos from Beaverton, Ore.-Nike and other sponsors.
One of those, sunglasses maker Oakley, did not respond to a message from The Associated Press on Monday.
However, Peet Van Zyl of Pistorius' management company said Monday that "at this point in time, all sponsors are still on board, and they have given us their commitment towards Oscar, based on the relationships that they have formed with him over the past years." He added that the sponsors "are quite happy to allow the legal process to take its course before they make any other further and formal announcements about it."
Pistorius' agent has canceled the athlete's future scheduled races.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Three people are dead after a shooting near the University of South Alabama Tuesday, December 10. Mobile Police tell FOX10 news it is investigating the case as a double homicide and a suicide, which they believe began after a domestic …
The homeowner said she left for several hours to run errands, when she returned there were tire marks in her front yard with part of her door kicked in.
Orange Beach Police say 20-year-old Carlos Garcia, 27-year-old Steven Erickson, and 20-year-old Cody Erickson, were all charged with seven counts of burglary third degree, two counts of theft of property second degree, and four counts of …
Almost three months after the accident that took the life of 48-year-old Sari McKane, the next step in the process to make the site of the crash safer is underway.
State workers were out early, installing the first poles that will hold a …
Voters in Creola have decided not to become part of Saraland. Residents voted against the proposed annexation 536 to 349 with 29 provisional ballots.
The Mobile County Sheriff's Office said deputies are looking for an attempted bank robbery suspect. They said the entered the Bay Bank on Dauphin Island Parkway in Fowl River just before 5 p.m. and handed a note to the teller, demanding …