GULF SHORES, Ala. (WALA) - The last few years have seen record growth for the beach communities in Baldwin County.
Just as the beach crowds keep booming, Gulf Shores continues to see its traffic do the same.
The city now plans to address the issue by widening County Road 4 which is between Highway 59 and the Foley Beach Express.
Blake Phelps with the city of Gulf Shores said work is set to begin in August of 2013. He said the road will be widened to three lanes and six-foot wide bike lanes added to both shoulders.
"This road is obviously an important road. It's the last opportunity for folks who are traveling on the beach express to get to Gulf Shores before the toll bridge. We've also seen an expansion of residential and other developments in that area as well," Phelps said.
Phelps said the project will cost $2.3 million. The Alabama Department of Transportation will pay 80 percent with a grant, while the remaining 20 percent will be up to the city to pay.
Officials said the construction is especially timely considering the coming addition to connect I-10 to the Beach Express.
Of course once construction begins, it could mean delays for people living along County Road 4.
George Boswell said he's been hoping for a way to increase safety on the road since he moved there in 2007.
"I'm willing to put up with it. We have several ways out of this suburb. We can use the Beach Express or something else depending on where they are in their construction," Boswell said.
Other folks told FOX10 that they approve and hope a traffic light is installed.
"I've been really waiting for it ever since I found out they were going to do this. I've been excited for it and I'm ready to see it done," said Boswell.
Once the widening and bike lanes are done, officials said they plan to overlay the entire road with new asphalt.
The project is expected to be finished in about a year.
Three people are dead after a shooting near the University of South Alabama Tuesday, December 10. Mobile Police tell FOX10 news it is investigating the case as a double homicide and a suicide, which they believe began after a domestic …
A Cold Morning Showing Up Around the Gulf Coast but Plenty of Sunshine Lies Ahead....
Chipotle Mexican Grill is hanging out the “now hiring” sign. The Denver-based restaurant chain is looking for managers and crew members for its new location in Mobile, Ala.
Voters in Creola have decided not to become part of Saraland. Residents voted against the proposed annexation 536 to 349 with 29 provisional ballots.
The homeowner said she left for several hours to run errands, when she returned there were tire marks in her front yard with part of her door kicked in.
Orange Beach Police say 20-year-old Carlos Garcia, 27-year-old Steven Erickson, and 20-year-old Cody Erickson, were all charged with seven counts of burglary third degree, two counts of theft of property second degree, and four counts of …