MOBILE COUNTY, Ala. (WALA) - Two hundred years ago a bloody battle between settlers and Creek Indians took place at Fort Mims, near Tensaw, Alabama.
By the time it was over, hundreds were killed on both sides.
Volunteers re-enacted the massacre for the 200th anniversary event.
Historians call it one of the bloodiest battles in American history. On August 30, 1813 in the heat of midday a band of Creek Indians known as "Redsticks" ambushed Fort Mims.
The fort housed about 550 settlers and slaves; all but 53 were killed.
“I have ancestor's who came here in 1813, the day before the attack and they chose not to stay,” said Claudia Slaughter Campbell, President of the Fort Mims Restoration Association.
The Fort Mims Restoration Association began preparing for this event three years ago.
It raised money to buy headstones and rebuild a replica log house at the site.
Major General Andrew Jackson and 1,300 Tennessee volunteers eventually defeated the creek's in the spring of 1814.
“My great-great-great Grandparents Captain Joseph Booth and Colonel Lee Slaughter rode with Jackson to avenge the deaths here,” said Campbell.
Association president, Claudia Slaughter Campbell, says her passion for this event can be traced back to her childhood.
“When we were kids we were running in the field and found some sharp objects which I found out were arrowheads and some pieces of pottery and my mother thought this must be Fort Mims,” said Campbell.
Campbell's mother got the Alabama State Parks and Department of Conservation to investigate the site in the 1950's and 60's, the rest as they say his history.
“She loved this place and she promoted it her whole life and when I was kind of ready to give up she said please keep going with this, so I guess it's in her honor and her memory that I've done this,” said Campbell.
Campbell's mother died last year, she was 95.
The thousands who attended this weekend’s event at Fort Mims owe their thanks to the Campbell’s for keeping this memory alive.
More info about Fort Mims can be found here.
Clear skies and a secondary push of chilly air arrive tonight as a stronger area of high pressure moves in from the central plains.
The trial has begun for accused sex offender Giusseppe LoPorto in Bay Minette. LoPorto spent 14 years on the run in Italy before being arrested and extradited back to Baldwin County in 2012.
A Montgomery judge has scheduled a trial June 3 over whether the state government can keep the cash and destroy the gambling machines seized in a raid of VictoryLand casino in Macon County.
The Mobile County Sheriff's Office said deputies are looking for an attempted bank robbery suspect. They said the entered the Bay Bank on Dauphin Island Parkway in Fowl River just before 5 p.m. and handed a note to the teller, demanding …
Almost three months after the accident that took the life of 48-year-old Sari McKane, the next step in the process to make the site of the crash safer is underway. State workers were out early, installing the first poles that will hold a …
A commercial boat captain from Bayou La Batre, Ala., has pleaded guilty to shooting a dolphin with a shotgun in the Mississippi Sound in the summer of 2012.