BAYOU LA BATRE, Ala. (WALA) - A senior citizen said black mold in his apartment at a federally subsidized senior living facility is making him sick.
Darrell Holman said AHEPA 310 VII Senior Apartments in Bayou La Batre had certified testing done in his apartment to check for mold on April 15, and then on the April 17 the property management installed a new AC unit.
Holman is concerned his apartment is infested with airborne mold and claims he now suffers from breathing problems.
"When I went to the doctor, they x-rayed my chest and said, ‘You got an infection in your left lung, and it's serious,'" Holman said.
Holman said he reached out to both the inspector and the complex for the results of the mold test, but has not gotten any answers yet.
"He thought they had given me a copy of what they found. But now they don't want to give that out. I want to know what it's about," said Holman.
Another AHEPA resident believes mold may be to blame for his recent breathing problems as well.
"I haven't gotten the results back but I've had nothing like this before. I haven't been able to breathe, but it chokes me down in my chest," said Donald Goleman.
Another resident, who asked not to be identified, showed us her window sill and said wants to find another place to live, but it may not be that easy.
"Right now, I'm looking around for other housing. But being elderly and single, you know, limited income, you can't just run out and rent another apartment do. I have to live with it," she said.
According to the Centers of Disease Control, in 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition.
The apartment complex is getting federal funds and other Medicare and Social Security money from senior citizens who live there.
FOX10 News spoke to the property manager on the phone, and asked for her side of the story.
She had no comment, saying company policy does not allow her to talk the media.
As we researched the situation, we found a similar case in South Carolina .
A jury has found 80 year-old Guiseppe Pino LoPorto guilty of child sex abuse charges dating from the early 1990s.
Waking up to a chilly morning! Temperatures will be a little warmer this afternoon than what we saw on Thursday, we'll also see our winds shift from northerly to southerly with clouds increasing.
One student was in critical condition Friday after reports of a shooting at a high school in suburban Denver, hospital and state officials said.
An avionics technician from Kansas was arrested Friday as he planned to drive a vehicle full of explosives into a terminal at Wichita's Mid-Continent Regional Airport, authorities said.
Harvey Updyke, the University of Alabama fan who pleaded guilty to poisoning Auburn University's oak trees, is asking a judge to reduce his monthly restitution payments to the school.
Republican state Rep. Jamie Ison of Mobile says she won't seek re-election next year. Ison said Friday she will retire at the end of her term to focus her attention on her real estate career and her volunteer work.