Richard O'Brien is a local man who has co-authored a children's book series called CJ and the Angel Kids!
It's a fictional mystery/adventure series about five differently-abled kids. He hopes these books help spread the word about awareness, acceptance and inclusion of differently-abled children.
Here's what O'Brien sent us regarding this incredible book series:
The books were initiated by a tap on my shoulder from God back in 2006 while I was in church and then inspired by my son Connor, who has cerebral palsy. The series revolves around five differently-abled kids who solve mysteries at different types of camps with the help of typically developing kids. The main character, CJ or Connor James, has cerebral palsy and the rest of the "Angel Kids" are portrayed with other special needs: Andy with Autism; Dee-Dee with Down Syndrome; Rosie with Stuttering ; and Stu with Dyslexia. The six books in the series address: awareness (book 1); bullying (book 2); childhood obesity (book 3); dyslexia (book 4); autism (book 5); and sensory processing issues (book 6). We have tried to portray these "Angel Kids" as positive role models for all differently-abled kids. Each of the contributors to the books add their "magic" with a speech therapist and occupational therapist providing credibility, real life experiences, and how these differently-abled or "Angel Kids" are seen in the real world. A high school senior provided the fantastic illustrations for all six books. With God as the driver for the books, we believe we have written a series of books that will inspire and educate not only children from Kindergarten through sixth grade but also adults. Our mission is to increase awareness that differently-abled children want to be accepted for their special abilities and to be included in all activities with typically developing children. They just want to be kids!
We believe that our books deliver the following to the readers:
• Portray the "Angel Kids" as positive roles models for differently-abled children.
• Showcase the problem solving abilities of these "Angel Kids" during each mystery.
• Illustrate teamwork between the "Angel Kids" and the typically developing kids at each
camp. The "Angel Kids" are champions for each cause at camp and stand up for each other.
• Provide real life situations involving bullying, childhood obesity, dyslexia, autism and
special processing issues. Show how these situations occur in real life.
• Teach all of the kids at each camp about showing respect for each other.
• Provide a theme involving God throughout the books.
• Provide a Glossary of Terms and additional websites for increasing awareness.
• Celebrate solving a mystery and having fun at each camp.
• Beautiful illustrations to go with the storyline for each book in the series.
From the sales of the series of books:
• All profits from the sale of the books on Amazon.com will go to local and state charities,
including United Cerebral Palsy of Mobile, AL, Down Syndrome, Dyslexia and Autism.
From our royalties, we have already provided a contribution to UCP of Mobile.
Once you have read book five in the series, "The Plight of the Pumpkins", our hope is that you will help tell our wonderful story. With the help of God and inspiration from Connor, as well as other differently-abled kids, we have a series of books that could be "game changers" for how kids with special needs are portrayed in life and show that they are just kids-- they want to have fun like everyone else.
CJ and the Angel Kids
Series By Richard A. O’Brien, Andrea W. Pointer, and Shannon T. Norris
AMAZON LINK: https://www.amazon.com/Richard-A.-OBrien/e/B015YVKQ08/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_6?qid=1502471161&sr=8-6