(MEREDITH) – Three police officers working the night shift after Hurricane Irma posted a handsome Facebook selfie and instantly became social media sensations.
The Gainesville Police Department shared the photo on Facebook Sunday afternoon to show the officers getting ready for work and inadvertently drew in thousands of admirers.
The police department recently removed the widely-shared Facebook photo amid an investigation into a complaint against one of the men.
Gainesville police say in a statement that several people have brought information to the department's attention regarding a complaint against Officer Michael Hamill, the bearded officer at the center of the group selfie.
Several citizens have brought information to our attention regarding a complaint against Officer Hamill.
GPD is reviewing the allegation and will do so in accordance to Florida law and department policy. Under Florida Law, complaint information is confidential until an investigation is concluded.
The Gainesville Police Department prides itself with our philosophy and mission of compassion, inclusion, and respect and will fully review the matter.
The selfie had thousands of comments, some of which made their chief “blush.” Those comments include, but certainly, are not limited to:
“Uhm, a court date is still a ‘date’ right?!”
"But who will protect these guys from an impending Cougar attack? #thesecomments"
"So, looks like my next vacation will be spent in Gainesville rolling through stop signs and driving with a tail light out every evening until I've been pulled over by the entire night shift. It's gonna get expensive, and my insurance premiums will go through the roof from all those tickets, but..."
The photo’s huge response even forced the officers to create an update:
1. We are dying with the comments. You've actually made our chief blush with some of them.
2. MRS. Nordman and MRS. Hamill have also enjoyed knowing how millions of women are going crazy over their husbands.
3. We can confirm that Officer Rengering (far right with the amazing hair) IS SINGLE.
4. On another note, Officer Rengering is being placed into Cougar Prey Protective Care, similar to the witness protection program for his safety.
5. Please do not call 9-1-1 and request this group respond to your "incident"
6. There WILL be a calendar.
Thank you all for the hilarious comments...they have brightened our time up here. As for the calendar, we are going to try and do something fairly quickly and funds raised will go to Hurricane Irma recovery here in Florida.
Copyright 2017 Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved.