The National Weather Service has issued a Hurricane Warning and Storm Surge Warning for the northern Gulf Coast including the Gulf Shores area in advance of Tropical Storm Nate. These warnings indicate hurricane conditions with winds in excess of 74 mph and potentially life-threatening storm surge is likely within 36 hours.
Beginning Friday, a voluntary evacuation order has been issued for all non-residents and those residing in flood-prone, low-lying coastal areas, campgrounds, RV’s and motor homes.
Beginning Saturday, the following areas will be closed to the public until further notice:
• Gulf waters
• Gulf Shores public beaches and beach parking areas
• Gulf State Park pier
• All city facilities
• Jack Edwards National Airport (beginning at 6 p.m.)
The city of Gulf Shores urges all residents to review their hurricane preparedness list to be sure all supplies are well-stocked and to have an emergency plan in place.
Safety steps to consider:
• Secure all outside items such as patio furniture, umbrellas, awnings, and trash/recycling receptacles.
• Take all necessary precautions to secure boats in anticipation of 3’ to 5’ of storm surge.
• Drivers are encouraged to stay off the road Saturday night and early Sunday morning.
• Residents should be prepared with Hurricane Re-entry Decals in place on vehicles. Issuance of reentry decals will cease at 4 p.m. today.
• A limited amount of free sand for sand bags is available at the Gulf Shores Sportsplex located at 19025 Oak Road West (County Road 6 West). Sand bags and shovels are not provided, but may be purchased at local hardware and home improvement stores.
• Visit www.gulfshoresal.gov/Safe for additional emergency preparedness information. City officials will continue to actively monitor developments with Tropical Storm Nate and will provide updates as they are available. Visit www.gulfshoresal.gov/NotifyMe and sign up to receive text or email alerts with the latest updates from the City of Gulf Shores.
All content © 2017, WALA; Mobile, AL. (A Meredith Corporation Station). All Rights Reserved.