MPD Chief "taking different approach" to 5th Quarter Classic sec - FOX10 News | WALA

MPD Chief "taking different approach" to 5th Quarter Classic security after Las Vegas shooting

Posted: Updated:
(Mobile Sports Authority) (Mobile Sports Authority)

It's only a few days away from kickoff of the second annual Fifth Quarter Classic at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

The big game, and events in the days before it, has Mobile Police making special security preparations.

According to Police Chief Lawrence Battiste, the recent mass shooting during a concert in Las Vegas has his department looking at security preparations in a different light. 

"Based off the events that occurred in Las Vegas, we are strategically looking at things in a different setting, some things we probably would not have thought about in the past, but because of the events that occurred in Las Vegas, we are taking a different approach to looking at the area, how we can best secure the area," said Battiste. 

There's not only the highly anticipated football match-up between two HBCUs, Jackson State and Tuskegee University, that will take place on Saturday night, there's also a parade that morning, and an R&B concert in Mardi Gras Park on Friday night in downtown Mobile, which is the newest addition to the Fifth Quarter Classic fun. 

Battiste said that new event will likely make the total cost of securing the classic go up from last year. 

He also said his department will make sure that concert will be as safe as possible. 

"We augment with SWAT personnel, we augment with folks from our tactical intelligence, we do all sorts of things to try to make sure we are able to gather as much intelligence on the ground as we possibly can, before an event, during an event, and after events, talking about what did we see and what can we do better," explained Battiste. 

Battiste also provided some tips for anyone going to the Fifth Quarter Classic events this week. 

Make sure to drink responsibly, to keep your wits about you in case of an emergency. 

Also, be constantly aware of your surroundings, and identify an emergency exit plan from the event, so if you have to flee in a hurry, you will know where to go. 

The chief also said to look for areas of cover and concealment, places you can hide, and be shielded from harm. 

And finally, if you see anything suspicious, don't hesitate to report it to police. 

All content © 2017, WALA; Mobile, AL. (A Meredith Corporation Station). All Rights Reserved.

  • Mobile CountyMore>>

  • $1.5M in Mobile city and county tax dollars to be given to SSAB

    $1.5M in Mobile city and county tax dollars to be given to SSAB

    Friday, October 20 2017 6:50 PM EDT2017-10-20 22:50:16 GMT
    (SSAB)(SSAB)

    Both the city of Mobile and Mobile County are set to pay steel plate manufacturer SSAB a total of $1.5 million in public dollars over the next three years, according to County Commissioner Jerry Carl.  

    Both the city of Mobile and Mobile County are set to pay steel plate manufacturer SSAB a total of $1.5 million in public dollars over the next three years, according to County Commissioner Jerry Carl.  

  • Neighbors trying to make sense of shooting at Quik Pick

    Neighbors trying to make sense of shooting at Quik Pick

    Friday, October 20 2017 5:50 PM EDT2017-10-20 21:50:09 GMT
    MPD: Two men shot at Quick Pick Shell gas station, 2311 St, Stephens Road. 1 dead, 1 injured.MPD: Two men shot at Quick Pick Shell gas station, 2311 St, Stephens Road. 1 dead, 1 injured.

    According to Mobile Police Department, a 21 year old man was shot and killed outside the Quik Pick gas station on Saint Stephens Rd. Today we caught up with some neighbors who say they're family members of the man who was killed. They identified him as 21-year-old Carlos Peebles, Jr. 

    According to Mobile Police Department, a 21 year old man was shot and killed outside the Quik Pick gas station on Saint Stephens Rd. Today we caught up with some neighbors who say they're family members of the man who was killed. They identified him as 21-year-old Carlos Peebles, Jr. 

  • "I feel violated:" Alleged victim of accused Mobile serial flasher explains incident

    "I feel violated:" Alleged victim of accused Mobile serial flasher explains incident

    Friday, October 20 2017 4:53 PM EDT2017-10-20 20:53:31 GMT
    Brandon Scott was arrested Wednesday, October 18th for indecent exposure. Photo: MCSO Jail Log.Brandon Scott was arrested Wednesday, October 18th for indecent exposure. Photo: MCSO Jail Log.

    FOX10 News has uncovered disturbing details about a suspected serial flasher in Mobile. 29-year-old Brandon Scott is back in jail, charged with indecent exposure again.

    FOX10 News has uncovered disturbing details about a suspected serial flasher in Mobile. 29-year-old Brandon Scott is back in jail, charged with indecent exposure again.

Powered by Frankly
FOX10TV.com
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WALA; Mobile, AL. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.