Carnival Triumph spends time in Mobile for repairs - FOX10 News | WALA

Carnival Triumph spends time in Mobile for repairs

Posted: Updated:
Carnival Triumph in Mobile on December 3, 2017 (FOX10 News) Carnival Triumph in Mobile on December 3, 2017 (FOX10 News)

The Carnival Triumph made another unexpected trip to Mobile. The Triumph made it to Mobile for repairs over the weekend. The ship received its final inspection Sunday night and set sail to its homeport of News Orleans to resume cruise operations Monday. 

The cruise ship was docked at BAE Systems on the Mobile River for repairs. The Triumph experienced engine problems while returning to New Orleans after a cruise to Mexico. It made it back to the Crescent City around 5:15 p.m. Thursday, more than 12 hours later than its scheduled docking time. 

Carnival spokesman Joyce Olivia said, "Carnival Triumph, which is currently docked in Mobile, has been undergoing repairs to address a technical issue affecting the ship's maximum cruising speed." A passenger Ricky Lattimore told FOX10, "At one time they were speeding really fast."

According to Lattimore he took more motion sickness pills the remainder of the trip. They delay caused an inconvenience for passengers said Lattimore. 

He added, "It wasn't so relaxing coming back you knowing you would be back pretty late, knowing you had plans for the next day." The cruise line allowed passengers to stay an extra day docked in New Orleans due to the travel inconvenience. 

Lattimore said, "We didn't get a discount on the next cruise, only thing they told us, is that we will be able to be entertained. But you still had to pay for stuff, for that night you stayed that evening you stayed there."

He continued, "You didn't have to worry about your hotel you can stay on the boat and they would take care of your parking."

Another Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen said 3,163 people were on board. The delay caused Carnival to cancel the cruise set to sail Thursday afternoon.

This isn't the ship's first unplanned visit to the Port City. In February 2013, the Triumph left Galveston, Texas for a four-day cruise. After a stop in Cozumel, Mexico, a fire broke out in the ship's engine room. It left the ship without engine power and most of its electricity, forcing passengers to endure human waste running down hallways, limited water supplies, noxious odors and extreme heat. After about five days in the Gulf of Mexico, the ship was finally towed to Mobile.

After passengers disembarked, the Triumph was kept in Mobile for repairs. On April 3, 2013, the Port of Mobile experienced a period of high wind gusts. The Triumph broke free from its moorings and drifted across the Mobile River, where it collided with the moored dredge Wheeler. A responding towing vessel, Noon Wednesday, became pinned between the cruise ship and the dredge.

One shipyard employee, John Buster Johnson, died in the accident; another was injured. The total damage amount was estimated to be more than $2.9 million. The ship returned to service in June 2013. 

All content © 2017, WALA; Mobile, AL. (A Meredith Corporation Station). All Rights Reserved.  

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WALA; Mobile, AL. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.