FOX10 News has obtained exclusive new details about a deadly crash in west Mobile back on November 3, which killed a mother, and injured her two children.
According to an accident report obtained exclusively by FOX10 News, the teen driver who caused the crash was going 92 m.p.h. in a 30 m.p.h. zone.
FOX10 News filed an open records request for a copy of the accident report on November 6, and has been inquiring with Mobile Police about the request for the last two months. Still, Mobile Police did not release the report.
Instead, FOX10 News finally obtained a copy from a source close to the case Thursday night.
The report shows the driver who caused the crash is a 16-year-old boy who was driving at 92 miles-per-hour when his SUV hit Claudia Leatherwood's car while she was leaving a driveway on Lloyds Lane.
Leatherwood was killed, but, fortunately, her two children, who were also in the car, survived.
The report says the 16-year-old was driving down Lloyds Lane at "an extremely high rate of speed, to the point that (Leatherwood) had no opportunity to see (the teen's vehicle) before entering the roadway."
According to the report, the teen's Nissan Xterra hit Leatherwood's Jaguar and pushed her car more than 60 feet until it hit a mailbox and fire hydrant, where the Jaguar came to an "uncontrolled final rest."
The teen's SUV flipped and landed on its passenger side.
It's been more than two months since the crash, but a criminal investigation is still pending.
FOX10 News reached out to Mobile Police for an interview about why no charges have been filed, knowing the teen was driving more than three times the allowed speed limit.
Police Chief Lawrence Battiste said investigators are still waiting on search warrants for pertinent digital evidence in the case.
"I think we owe every family that due diligence, to make sure that we get every piece of information that we possibly can, and present it, so that nothing is left unturned," said Battiste. "That is what we are doing in this particular case, we could rush to judgment, and if we rush to judgment, something slips through."
The Mobile County District Attorney's Office has released this brief statement about the case:
"This case/wreck is still under investigation and that there are a number of things that (we will) need before this investigation will be complete."
The Leatherwood family has also filed a civil suit against the teen driver and his parents.
So far, court documents show attorneys for the teen's family are working to block any action in that suit until the criminal investigation is complete.
Those attorneys declined to comment Friday.
FOX10 News also reached out to attorneys for the Leatherwood family, but they were unavailable for an interview.
Battiste said he's not sure how much longer the criminal investigation will take, but FOX10 News will keep you posted as soon as new information is released.
All content © 2018, WALA; Mobile, AL. (A Meredith Corporation Station). All Rights Reserved.