MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) - The Mobile County District Attorney’s office confirms the investigation into the sexual misconduct allegation against a Mobile Catholic priest has concluded and is expected to be presented to a Mobile County grand jury in the near future.
Rev. James Havens had been the pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church off Three Notch Road in Mobile until the allegation was made on May 8, 2013. The accusation involved a woman who was 10 years old at the time of the alleged incident. She claims the act of sexual abuse happened in her home. She is now 34.
On the same day of the accusation, the Archdiocese of Mobile placed Rev. Havens on administrative leave which meant he was not allowed to exercise his priestly ministry or live on parish property. Mobile Archbishop Thomas Rodi told FOX10 News anchor Bob Grip, “I think we have been faithful to the promises the Archdiocese of Mobile has made to take accusations seriously, not to tolerate sexual abuse of minors, and to cooperate with civil authorities. These are the actions reasonable people have asked for and which we are following”.
There have been no other allegations.
The official publication of the Mobile Archdiocese, The Catholic Week, reported that Archbishop Rodi accepted the retirement of Rev. Havens, effective September 6, 2013.
Global civil rights icon Nelson Mandela, whose legacy is ending South African apartheid, has died.
Things Remain Warm and Humid Today but Cold Air Pushes in Tonight....
JPMorgan Chase & Co. says about 465,000 users of a prepaid cash card may have had their personal information hacked.
Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson returned to the Port City Thursday, December 5 after spending several days in Hamburg, Germany for the Aviation Forum 2013.
Students at Council Traditional School had a lot to cheer about Thursday, December 5.The US Department of Education named Council a “National Blue Ribbon School.”