SANTA ROSA COUNTY, Fla. (WALA) - In late July 2013 Derrick Glen Estell was in jail in Garland County Arkansas. He escaped through a window and was seen on camera running out of the jail. Authorities believed he was assisted by his family and girlfriend.
A national manhunt ensued.
On August 22, the Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office received a tip that Estell and his girlfriend Tamara Upshaw were possibly in Santa Rosa County.
Deputies located an abandoned home in a wooded area near the intersection of Hwy 182 and Chumuckla Hwy. Officials knew Estell could have been armed.
Members of several units of the Sheriff’s Office surrounded the home and told Estell and Upshaw to come out, which they did without incident.
Estell is wanted in Arkansas for the following charges:
• Commercial burglary
• Aggravated robbery; possession of a firearm; theft of property $0/$5000; leave the scene of personal injury
• Residential burglary; fleeing; criminal mischief; resisting arrest.
• Escape 2nd Degree
• Aggravated robbery; theft by receiving of a firearm by certain persons (4 cts); fleeing
• Possession of a firearm by certain persons; commercial burglary; theft of property $0/$1000; criminal mischief
• Commercial burglary; criminal mischief
• Commercial burglary; theft of property $0/$1000; criminal mischief
• Commercial burglary (2 cts); criminal mischief; criminal mischief
• Theft by receiving $0/$1000
Estell and Upshaw are being held without bond at the Santa Rosa County Jail.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Global civil rights icon Nelson Mandela, whose legacy is ending South African apartheid, has died.
Near record highs, fog, and rain chances...then colder. There is a little bit of everything going on with our weather pattern on this Thursday evening.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. says about 465,000 users of a prepaid cash card may have had their personal information hacked.
Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson returned to the Port City Thursday, December 5 after spending several days in Hamburg, Germany for the Aviation Forum 2013.
Students at Council Traditional School had a lot to cheer about Thursday, December 5.The US Department of Education named Council a “National Blue Ribbon School.”