MPD arrests 8 people on marijuana trafficking charges
MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) -Guns, money and 154 pounds of marijuana all seized as part of a 2-3 month long investigation by Mobile Police’s Narcotics Unit. Investigators say it all happened yesterday in the 2100 block of North Gimon Circle when officers were able to arrest these eight people after finding over $250,000 worth of marijuana. Chief Paul Prine says they believe it came from the Midwest on the way to our area.
“This contraband was ultimately set to go to the streets of Mobile. Ultimately a lot of it into the hands of children,” said Mobile Police Chief Paul Prine.
Investigators also seized $71,000 worth of cash, around 100 rounds of ammo but what’s most concerning to Chief Prine they also found four dangerous and illegal firearms.
“When they say marijuana is not a significant drug. This is the type of garbage that comes with it. This is the type of garbage that ends up on our streets,” added Prine.
Prine says all of these items, especially this much, are all factors of violent crime especially when it comes to youth violence.
“Every time I show up on a violent crime scene or certainly a scene where someone has lost their life we always find in some form or fashion weed, guns, and money,” said Prine. “Unfortunately, the young people in our community participate in this and they end up unfortunately dead.”
The following individuals were arrested as a result of the operation:
1. Deros McGrew, trafficking marijuana
2. Deandre Belford, trafficking marijuana
3. Andrell Henley, possession of marijuana 1st degree
4. Corey Thomas, trafficking marijuana
5. Jeremy Overton, trafficking marijuana, two counts of domestic violence 3rd degree (warrant)
6. Reginald Boxley, trafficking marijuana
7. Isiah Crear, trafficking marijuana, possession of marijuana 1st degree (warrant), possession of drug paraphernalia (warrant)
8. Miles Pettaway, possession of marijuana 1st degree
Copyright 2023 WALA. All rights reserved.