ELBERTA, Ala. -- The Alabama Fire Marshal is being called to investigate a fire that tore through a trailer home in Elberta Friday.
Elberta Fire Chief Nick Scheer says the fire was fully involved when his firefighters arrived at the Hwy. 87 home around 8 a.m. They had to return throughout the day when the home began to smolder.
"I think this is everyone's worst nightmare to come home to their house on fire," Tabbitha Canceleno, who lived at the home, said.
Two dogs managed to escape the flames when Canceleno saw smoke from the home and let them out the front door.
"I opened the door and the whole house was filled with smoke so I immediately knew that there was a fire inside," Canceleno said. "So I called 911 and they came out and everything is gone.
A cause of the fire won't be released until the state fire marshal completes an inspection over the next couple days. Until then, crime scene tape surrounds the home as a possible arson case.
Canceleno, who lived at the home with her son and a roommate, is thankful no one was hurt.
"I have to start over, I have to completely start over again, there's nothing salvageable inside," she said.