A big announcement was made Monday in Gulf Shores and it had to do with economic gain for the city. The city of Gulf Shores is working toward the future, and Mayor Robert Craft says the future is education. "We're wanting to create an educational opportunity that is unique," he said.Monday afternoon Mayor Craft announced that the city is teaming up with Auburn University to build an educational complex on the corner of County Road 8 and the Beach Express."In these renderings you can see the buildings they intend to build. In the slide closest to me you can see the layout of the site plan. You'll see auburn on the north side of county road 8," he said.According to Mayor Craft, there will be a number of Auburn's academic programs operating out of the new 24,000 square foot building including aviation, veterinary clinical education as well as laboratory training."This gives us an opportunity to diversify, not just in the services to our public but as an economic endeavor. Something that gives us an economic diversification away from tourism on the beach."According to Auburn Vice President of Academic Affair Dr. Tim Boosinger, this is also a unique opportunity for the university."This partnership represents an extensions of all that we do. We will deliver programs here, important research and sharing those with others around the state," he said.Officials hope to break ground by the middle of next year.The city is building the new property through a public education building authority.All content © 2016, WALA; Mobile, AL. (A Meredith Corporation Station). All Rights Reserved.
You may also like
- 4 dead, several injured after NAS Pensacola shooting; shooter among dead
- University of Mobile baseball coach Mike Jacobs has died
- Sailor kills 2 civilians before turning gun on himself at Pearl Harbor shipyard
- Teenager charged with murder in University Boulevard shopping center shooting
- "I love you son," missing boater sends message to son 15 minutes before tragic boating accident
- UPDATE: The Body of the last missing shrimper has been located
- Auburn fined $250,000 after fans storm field in Iron Bowl win over Alabama
- New Orleans police: 11 shot on edge of French Quarter
- Police: McDonald's worker took pictures of credit cards, used info to shop online
- Couple finds loaded semi-automatic rifle inside baby bouncer purchased at Goodwill
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.