Mobile family seeks help after fuse-box fire destroys home

 

Sparks from a fuse box in Catherine Cherubini's bedroom turned into full-blown flames in the middle of the night. The fire started around two Wednesday morning at mobile home on Glen Acres Dr.

"About a week ago, from the cold weather, I was having to use space heaters. The breaker kept flipping and it would get too hot to touch. I tried to get it fix but I guess not quick enough," Cherubini said.

Her boyfriend threw water on the fire but it continued to grow and spread throughout the home in a matter of minutes. Heavy smoke caused Cherubini to pass out on the living room floor.

Luckily, her daughter, Lindsey Clampet, was able to help get her and the rest of the family out safely.

"My boyfriend got hit by a car. So he's in a wheelchair. I had to get him out of the house and the wheelchair, and my son. Thank God my two daughters weren't here. And everything is just gone. We have nothing," Clampet said.

Fire officials reported the mobile home as a total loss. Clampet's seven-year-old son, Braxton, doesn't even have a pair of shoes to call his own.

"All the clothes. All the kids toys. All the kids clothes. All the shoes. My medication. My ID. The baby diapers. The baby crib. It burnt two of our little puppies," Cherubini and Clampet said.

Since December 1st, Mobile Fire-Rescue has responded to more than 30 house fires, many of which stemmed from space heaters and people leaving things on the stove unattended.

With such a high call volume in a short period of time, fire officials want to remind all homeowners to take the necessary steps to prepare before it's too late.

Public Information Officer, Steven Millhouse, said "Smoke alarms in your home, fire extinguishers in your home, and a fire safety plan with your family. Don't try to save the animals, your pets, don't try to save the television and your photo album. Just get out and cal 911."

Millhouse also recommends checking the batteries on all smoke alarms in your home, having at least two fire extinguishers in readily accessible areas, and forming a fire safety plan with your family.

All content © 2018, WALA; Mobile, AL. (A Meredith Corporation Station). All Rights Reserved.

Reporter

Recommended for you