Sago palms and your pups
Sago palms are a fixture of many yards on the Gulf Coast. The hardy palm brings a tropical vibe where other palms would wilt. But these plants can be bad news your dog.
Sago palms have a strong toxin that attacks a dogs liver if ingested.
It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, bloody feces, and often death.
All parts of the plant are toxic, but the seeds carry the most poison and they’re the most likely part a dog would eat… That’s where we can turn to nature for help.
Identify your Sagos
“Yeah that will kill a dog quick,” Ernie Wilkerson at Laura Kay’s Nursery, told us as held a large sago seed.
Wilkerson said sagos are a unique plant.
“You have a male or a female which is rather unusual because most plants are unisex,” he said.
And only one sex carries the highly toxic seeds.
“The female has a big old fuzzy piece and then your bloom seeds will be in between each of these layers and it will have fifty to one hundred seed up in there.”
“The male has a bloom that comes up like a big ear of corn.”
Know your yard
So it’s the female sagos and their seeds you really want to avoid to keep your dog safe. If you ever suspect your dog has ingested sago, it will need immediate veterinary care.