UPDATE: No charges will be filed against the parents of an 11-month-old boy killed in an accidental shooting Monday afternoon.

Mobile Police said evidence was turned over to the Mobile County District Attorney's Office which found "no elements of probable cause to establish the commission of a criminal offense."Mobile Police are investigating the shooting death of a 1-year-old child.

It happened around 2:15 p.m. Monday on Domain Street in Tillman's Corner, off of Three Notch Road.

According to Mobile Police Chief Lawrence Battiste, the one-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed inside his home. Neighbors who rushed to help tell FOX10 News, it appeared the child's 2-year-old brother fired the shot.

The neighbors were too upset to talk on camera but they told us they heard a loud noise next door and ran to the house, where they found the one-year-old with a gunshot wound.

Investigators and crime scene tape surrounded the home after the baby was rushed to Providence Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. We're told the boy's two-year-old brother, mother, and grandmother were all home at the time.

Battiste said the shooting happened in the parents' bedroom. Police said the boys were left alone in the bedroom by their mother who went to a mother-in-law suite behind the house to tell the boy's grandmother she was leaving.

"We believe this was an accidental shooting...the mother of the one-year-old had gone out back, there's a mother in law suite behind the residence, she had gone out back to let her know that she was getting ready to leave, when we believe the two year old came out and told the grandmother that his ears were ringing," said Battiste.

Investigators said it's too early to tell which child got a hold of the gun. Battiste said the gun was a 9-millimeter pistol owned by the parents, left out in the bedroom.

"It comes down to the parent being responsible with their right to bear arms and not being negligent where they leave those types of weapons. And I can't imagine the pain that this family will be going through, but it's going to be compounded by the fact that one of their children was injured as a result of that negligence," said Battiste.

Investigators interviewed the parents at the scene and at MPD Headquarters Monday afternoon. MPD has not released the boy's name.

All content © 2018, WALA; Mobile, AL. (A Meredith Corporation Station). All Rights Reserved.

Recommended for you