The team from Smac's Shack Food Truck is getting us ready for Mardi Gras with these delicious beignets!
- 1 cup of warm water (100 - 105 degrees)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, (divided into 1/4 cup & 1/2 cup)
- 1 (1⁄4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 (8 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 6-1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, (divided into 6 cups & 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- Enough cottonseed oil to deep fry
- 2 cups powdered sugar (for finishing topping)
In a small bowl, combine water, 1⁄4 cup sugar, and yeast, creating a “yeast starter.” Let set for 10 minutes to allow yeast to blossom, forming bubbles and foam at top.
In a standard mixer bowl, whisk the eggs, salt, milk, and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar together. Add the yeast starter and continue mixing. Add 3 cups of flour and combine thoroughly. Cut in the shortening and continue to mix. Add 3 more cups of flour and mix to form a large dough ball.
Use remaining 1/2 cup of flour to work surface, knead it into the dough until smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough into a large bowl, cover, and place in a warm place to rise, about 2 hours.
Preheat cottonseed oil to 375 degrees.
Roll out the dough to a 1⁄4 inch thick rectangle and cut into 2-inch squares. Fry pieces to a golden brown, turning continuously. Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy.