Chef Gerald from Cafe Acadiana is making crab cakes with Gulf jumbo crab meat, mixed with seasonings and then fried or grilled.
- 2 local Gulf fresh jumbo lump crab meat
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup bell peppers
- 1/2 stick salted butter (not margarine)
- 1/2 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon "Dat's Good Yeah!" Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 raw eggs
Put onion, celery, bell pepper and butter in a 4 quart pot. Saute until clear and tender.
Add all seasonings and chicken stock. Saute until well incorporated.
Add crab meat and green onions. Gently fold until evenly mixed.
Remove from heat, let cool and then add raw eggs, mayo and bread crumbs.
Gently fold until well incorporated. Place in cooler for several hours. Hand shape your "cakes" to about the size of your palm, keeping them to about 1/2 an inch or more in thickness.
Place on flat pan, back in cooler until you're ready to serve. Grill or fry, then top with a sauce...or enjoy them without sauce.