Lucy from Greer's Markets shares this winter comfort dish, chock full of veggies, pasta and Italian sausage. It also makes a perfect meal if you're feeling under the weather during cold and flu season.
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 cup carrots, diced small
- 1 cup celery, diced small
- 1 cup onion, diced small
- 2 zucchini, diced medium
- 14 oz diced tomatoes with chilies
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup dried ditalini pasta, or any short pasta
- 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. dried minced garlic
- 1.5 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Heat a soup pot over medium high heat. Add sausage, carrots, celery and onion. Cook for 10-12 minutes until sausage is cooked through and vegetables are soft.
Add Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes if using. Cook for 1 minute.
Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
Add pasta and zucchini. Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 12-15 minutes until pasta is cooked through. Do not overcook or pasta and zucchini will become mushy.