Even during the cold season, Bellingrath Gardens is filled with blooms and beauty! Gulf Coast residents and visitors are invited to the Winter Wednesdays series in January and February for sessions on gardening, history, and the collections in the beautiful Bellingrath Home. Each workshop covers a special feature of the Gardens or Home, tips for making your garden more spectacular, or guest lectures from renowned members of the horticultural and gardening world. The Winter Wednesdays sessions are held each week in the Magnolia Room from 10:30 - 11:30 am through Feb. 27 (please check bellingrath.org for up-to-date session times). Registration is requested. To register, call 251.973.2217.
Winter Wednesdays Schedule:
- January 9: Frye Gaillard, author – Frye Gaillard, writer in residence at the University of South Alabama, has written extensively on Southern race relations, politics and culture.
- January 16: “The Underwater Forest,” with Ben Raines – Environmental reporter and filmmaker Ben Raines will describe the secrets of an ancient underwater cypress forest recently discovered south of Alabama's Gulf Shores in the Gulf of Mexico.
- January 23: Non-native Invasive Plants – Beau Brodbeck, an Extension Forestry Agent and an Affiliate Faculty in the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences at Auburn University, will teach our guests about managing some of Alabama's worst invasive plant species.
- January 30: Viewing the Winter Sky at Bellingrath Gardens – An evening astronomy program, led by members of the University of South Alabama Department of Physics.
- February 6: Winter Garden Walk – Learn about the interesting winter borders and containers throughout the Gardens from Bellingrath’s Horticulture Management Team.
- February 13: All About Camellias – A look at the history and cultivation of this winter-blooming shrub, along with advice on selecting the best varieties for your garden.
- February 20: “Things are Seldom What They Seem,” with Tom McGehee – Metamorphic furniture in the Bellingrath Museum Home.
- February 27: “Flowers for Mom: Honoring an Alzheimer’s Journey and Celebrating Nature” – A photography exhibit by artist Elmore Demott.